Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Family campout

A couple weekends ago we went on a family campout up American Fork Canyon.  It was so beautiful up the canyon and I loved that it was cold in the morning.  My house isn't cool right now and I loved sleeping in the cold!

We had fun with all the neices and nephews until we built a campfire.  Then they all wanted to 'help', light matches, put wood on the fire and everything else.  My dad was sure that one of them was going to fall into the fire pit and I got to the point where I was going to help one of them fall in so that the others would learn to stay away from the fire. (I'm nice, aren't I?)

My dad taught us a new Indian saying (since he has some Indian blood he and one of his brothers has taught us 'Indian' lore). 

"White man built big fire, sit way back.  Indian build little fire, sit real close."

We had a true white man fire.  It was huge and warm and attracted all children within the campground!

1 comment:

thecapedhappyender said...

Your post makes me laugh. It is so true that kids love fire in a way that is unsafe. My boys would drive you bananas! And I love the Indian words from your dad. I am going to have to remember them and repeat them to my children when we build our white man's fire which is inevitable because they can't stop throwing things in.